Navigation and positioning errors caused by natural conditions on Mars (research of GNSS for Mars)
The evolution of the robotic exploration of Mars is bringing more complex questions to our attention.
One of the most important of them is becoming the precise positioning and navigation services on the red planet. It is simply because of the successful completion of some of the present steps in the scientific exploration of Mars. We know more and more every year and our future missions to this planet will have more difficult targets. These missions will go under the ground of the Martian soil and will look for another sign of possible life (bacteria, etc).
These missions will include missions, which will travel long distances on the surface, missions that will possibly fly in the Martian sky, and also possible human missions to Mars in the first half of the 21st century. The aim of the paper published by scientist Jozef Kozar in the scientific magazine Posterus is to describe some of the most important positioning and navigation errors, which can be caused by the environment and planetary conditions of Mars. The full paper can be read here.
References and resources:
- Kozar, J. Navigation and positioning errors caused by natural conditions on Mars. Posterus. [online]. 26.1.2015 [cit. 2015-01-26]. Available at: http://www.posterus.sk/?p=17725&output=pdf
Related articles on this blog:
- The documentary movie’s behind the scenes (Mars GNSS FATIMA)
- Analysis of the extreme locations on Mars (ALEXA)
- Satellite navigation system for Mars (project: GNSS FATIMA)
- Cartographic requirements for Mars GNSS FATIMA (Abstract)
- Implementation proposal of Mars GNSS
- Navigation and positioning errors caused by natural conditions on Mars (research of GNSS for Mars)
- Natural influences on Mars navigation systems
- Computer simulations in space and planetary exploration systems development
RESEARCH PAPERS for the project (GNSS for Mars): Continue here
I am sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let me improve this post!
Tell me how I can improve this post?